You may recall (and if you don’t, you have a very short memory), that I have been honored with the Kreativ Blogger Award, thanks to my blogger pal, Isabelle and her blog, As the Actress said to the Bishop.
I’ve already fulfilled the first rule, passing the award on to 10 very cool blogs that are definitely worth reading (See London Actress Picks Me!). So now, it’s on to Rule #2. A little drumroll, please…
Here are 10 things I’ve yet to reveal about myself:
1. My favorite color is purple. No, orange. Ok, purple it is.
2. My mother had meningitis while pregnant with me and we almost didn’t make it. Luckily, one of her sisters nursed her back to health, and thus I was born.
3. I once spent a whirlwind week in Guam. Met the governor, was interviewed on the radio and featured in a TV spot. I also made the front page of the local newspaper. Capped off the week by enjoying a typical Chamorro barbecue and sampling the island specialty–Spam. Yum!
4. When I was a kid, my uncle gave my family a dog. Jeffrey lasted with us for two whole weeks. Never having owned a pet, we didn’t know what to do with the poor thing. And so, we gave him back. I still miss him.
5. I just finished listening to my first audio book ever, Ken Follet’s Fall of Giants. It was incredibly engrossing, all 32 hours of it. I listened while walking my dog and wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to concentrate, but now I’m hooked on audio books. Devil in the White City by Erik Larson is next.
6. I’m not a big fan of ice cream. If I buy a pint, it can stay in the freezer for six months to a year. Yet I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Mister Softee and Good Humor Ice Cream trucks of my youth, and the jingles and bells they’d play through the streets of Queens, signaling to us kids that their cold treats were just around the bend.
7. I like to drive fast and have little (none, really) patience for those who don’t. It drives me crazy. No pun intended.
8. For me, it’s Diet Coke all the way. So much so that a couple of years ago, I found myself in Atlanta for a conference and made the trip to Mecca. Which, for me meant visiting the World of Coca-Cola museum. The two-hour indoctrination included an animated film homage to the soft drink–inside the Happiness Factory Theater–a guided tour through the history and art inspired by Coca-Cola, and an all-you-can-drink sampling of beverages from around the world. My favorite: Pineapple Fanta. And all this while being surrounded by fellow Coca-Cola die-hard enthusiasts. Only thing missing: Support groups to help us navigate in a world that often favors Pepsi.
9. When I was in sixth grade, my teacher discovered I had an adequate singing voice and recruited me to join the glee club. As a result, I had dreams of grandeur and making it big on Broadway. We all know how that turned out.
10. I spent eight years living in Seattle and I totally loved the overcast, rainy weather as well as the long summer days. Which is why I settled in San Diego. Makes no sense, but who cares? I’m happy!
So thank you, thank you. I promise I won’t let the Kreativ Blogger award go to my head.
Yay Seattle! I love living here because I get to wear my pink rainboots 🙂
Pink boots? Sounds adorable! Especially on a cloudy day. I love Seattle in the rain or on any day. Vancouver, BC, too!
Visiting from the Lady Blogger’s Tea Party! I have to say, I’m a coke girl too. I have been craving it hardcore since my son was born 5 months ago. When my coworkers go out for lunch and ask me if I need anything, I always ask for a big McDonalds Coke. I used to drink diet coke but for some reason that’s not doing it for me anymore! My hips aren’t happy either 😉
Coca-Cola rocks! What can be more refreshing? Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Hmmm this list is really great. This i presume to be very and truly expressive of you.
Thanks sharing such wonderful post about yourself.I enjoyed reading.
Meanwhile plz do visit my page read on freeing your mind and 5 steps to freeing your mind and comment to assist improve and share my works.
Will do! And thanks so much for stopping by!
As a girl who was raised in Atlanta, I can sympathize with your frustration over living in a Pepsi world. But I don’t get the whole not liking ice cream thing. Who are you?!
When I was a child, the Good Humor ice cream truck often brought icees. Cola icees were my favorite and I couldn’t get enough of those! 🙂
How apt that the first ever post I read from you is this! You sound charming. And #7? Me too!
p/s* stopping by from the LBS tea party
Thank you for stopping by. Yes, speed’s the thing! I’ll never get the driving slow thing. Don’t those people have somewhere to go?
Love your list. Charming and quirky — just like you!
Now I’m scratching my head over my own future list. You’ve set the bar high, my friend.
Thank you! It was hard at first coming up with ten, then it was even harder keeping it to ten. So I’ll save the other facts for a rainy day, like when I run out of things to write about. Yikes. Hope that never happens!
Don’t be afraid to let the award go to your head. You don’t have to pay lip service to the little people now.
Thank you for giving me permission to act like a Diva, which is what I wanted to do all along. Excuse me while I throw a tantrum now. Rant and rave, too. After all, now that I’m surrounded by all the little people, it’s the least I can do to make it worth their while.
Loved your facts. I’m ahead of you–I posted 25 facts about myself on the A to Z Blogging Challenge post for T. Congrats on the blog award.
25? Now, that’s impressive! I’ll be sure to check it out. Thanks!
I didn’t know Guam and Spam were connected…curious…
I was just talking to a friend about Ken Follett’s books yesterday…I still want to read his “Pillars of Earth” followup. I don’t do audio books though…I can’t stand people reading anything to me!
I love ice cream – favourite ice cream truck treat is Creamsicles!
It was fun learning more about you, Monica!
Spam is a leftover from WW2. They even have restaurants that special in Spam cuisine. I should know, I went to one! The rest of the world moved on after WW2 to other cuisine but Guam has held on to its Spam. For the longest time I’ve resisted audio books, but these days I have little time to read so audio books are fantastic for walking and listening to. I hope you reconsider. Think of it as being a child again, and a professional storyteller is reading to you. It’s wonderful. 🙂
I love these fun facts! Enjoy your Diet Coke today…
Thanks! It was fun deciding, which facts to include. I ended up with 15, and had to decide which to eliminate. Maybe I’ll list them another time.
Its always nice to hear more about our blogging buddies. Post was very interesting. I like diet pepsi and I love ice cream !! 🙂 I can’t sing, but I do have to gift for gabbing ! My favorite color is green !
Team Pepsi or Team Coke? Now I know where you stand. When the war finally breaks out I’m afraid we’ll have to part ways. In the meantime, aren’t you glad all us soda drinkers can get along? Lol 🙂